Kinship Care is a program designed to respond to the particular needs of grandparents and relatives who are raising children other than their own. DFCS Office of Financial Assistance is prepared to provide special assistance and support to make life easier for this special population as they assume the parenting role of their children and /or relatives.
The Agency partners with other DHR agencies, primarily Division of Aging Services (DAS) and Office of Child Support Services (OCSS), to help grandparents and relatives explore all options available for their unique situation. The intent is to provide seamless service between the three entities, focus on the family, insure children are being raised by caring and related adults, and help to keep families intact.
Please check with you local county DFCS office for specific information regarding available services.
State & Federal Resources
Georgia Afterschool Investment Council
National Afterschool Association
Local & State Resources
Contact your local county resources and build partnerships with your local public schools, businesses, specialty/trade schools, colleges and universities, etc.
Resources for Families
1. Identify the need in your community
- Contact your local school system to see if an afterschool program is already available. If afterschool programs are available, identify the areas where no programs are offered.
2. Find a niche - After identifying the need for a program, identify the TYPE of program that will be beneficial for the youth AND families within your community.
3. Contact your local community government - Contact your local city or county government to make sure you are following all laws that support the operation of a youth-serving organization within your community.
4. Build partnerships - Build partnerships with your local school system, businesses, non-profit organizations and other agencies that support youth development programming within your community.
5. Be active - Engage in local and national training, workshop and conference opportunities that assist afterschool and summer programs in building quality programming for youth.